[Wolves] WebDAV

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Fri Feb 27 17:36:39 GMT 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Old Dan wrote:
> Aquarius wrote:
> > I've got a mixed Windows/Linux network at Castle Aq. Now, sharing files
> > between the machines is a neat thing, I think. Since NFS bites the fat
> > one, I thought that the best way to do this was with Samba. But I
> > am rapidly concluding that this is Not The Case, because I cannot
> > get Samba to work properly. So, I got to thinking. Would it be easier
> > to do this with WebDAV? MS Explorer does the "web folders" thing, and
> > there are a fair few Linux apps that will read and write WebDAV folders.
> > Has anyone tried this? Is it any good? Please don't suggest that I
> > just get Samba working, because I just don't *get* it for some reason.
>
> Aq,
>
> I did try WebDAV once but it was Hard(tm).  I presume it would work for
> sharing files on the local network but TBH it'd be like using an ICBM to
> crack a nut - I mean I don't suppose you need the versioning and such it
> does do you?
>
> --
> Dan
> PS: Samba is so easy even I (Mr. Big 'Answer lots of questions about
> Python at the meet and get /every single/ one of them wrong for some
> reason' Dan) have done it.  Sharing to/from every version of Win* from
> 95 to XP with various Sambas from 2.0.17 to 3.0.  What's the problem
> you're having?

I agree with Dan totally, WebDAV is not the answer.  However if you want
to make webdav work for the mental exercise, go for it.  Otherwise let us
try and get Samba working for you first.

Some questions:
Do you have a Windows Server on your network?

If so, is it a Domain Controller?

What version of Samba are you running.

Please post the contents of your smb.conf file.

Ron