[Wolves] Happy new year!

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 09:14:21 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 13:16, Matthew Revell wrote:
> Happy new year everyone!
>
> What are you OSS/Linux predictions for 2004? Here's three from me:
>
> - Linux will continue to grow as a business OS, in the relatively gradual
> manner of 2003; i.e. there'll be no Linux epiphany moment but Linux will
> continue to creep into business consciousness
>
> - Linux DTP will become a serious alternative to Macs, particularly at the
> medium level
>
> - A major IT firm will make Linux the centre of their strategy.

- SCO will go out of business/disappear.
- Novell will release a SuSE/Ximinan desktop, which will be bundled with OO etc. Competition with the Sun's "Java" desktop?
- 2.7 kernel development will start.
- Microsoft will pursue patent infringements etc, probably snaring Open Source products.
- Microsoft will come under more pressure to reduce the pricing for Office etc.
- US Patent System comes under more pressure for reform (Software Patents etc)
- Thin desktop clients become more popular.
- Half Life 2 is game of the year, hopefully available for Linux somehow..?
- More Windows worms / viruses.
- More spam, more laws against spam, more spam.