[Wolves] A fun little game for you all :)

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Wed Jan 7 20:56:36 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 05:57, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> OK, here is a little game for all of you. Let us see
> who can pull out of the hat the oldest usenet
> post/email/web page that states they are into Linux -
> in other words, try and find the first record that you
> are into Linux on the net and post us the URL. This
> little game has rules:
>
>  - The URL must have a date attached that shows when
> the message was published.
>
>  - You have to post a web URL
>
> I found my earliest record as 24th April 1998 on
> alt.os.linux.slackware at
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=35410300.0%40news9.kcdata.com&rnum=69&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522jono%2Bbacon%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26start%3D60%26sa%3DN.

eerrrrmmmm most of the accounts I used pre 97 where how shall I say
this... borrowed... and I used to post under dodgy aliases ;-)

I can't remember my 94/95 account number at the uni but the one they
gave me to replace this starting f96 was only used on usenet in 2000.

but as a blast from the past how about about this web site that contains
describtions of jono and myself from 2000.  for some reason my accent
has moved to liverpool ;-)

http://www.hinterlands.org/expo2000.html

http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.linuxuk.co.uk to see jono's early
website and how it improved massivly when I came on board ;-)

an early look
http://web.archive.org/web/19990125100847/http://www.linuxuk.co.uk/
the frontpage created look ;-)
http://web.archive.org/web/19990422122505/http://www.linuxuk.co.uk/

here is the rerelease look
http://web.archive.org/web/20000301172423/http://www.linuxuk.co.uk/

here is the rererelease look, interesting for the fact that dispite it
being jono's site and 90% of the code being mine at this point neither
of us appear on the page ;-) but robster of debianplanet makes an early
appearence as a linux advocate.
http://web.archive.org/web/20001027221749/http://www.linuxuk.co.uk/

I can't find any early usenet posts mentioning linux but they probably
appear in alt.2600 alt.cyberpunk or alt.ph.uk as those where the areas I
posted in back then under different name at various times depended on
where and how I had connected.

I could have mentioned linux in 1994 or so in one of these groups or in
1995 in the slackware groups.  My first unix related posts where
probably asking lame SunOS questions in the early 90's.

It's a pity that there isn't a fido net time machine as that would show
up many gurus newbieness.  I had the sadest bunch of handles based on
what I was reading at the time who would be that sad now ;-) (whoops!)

I for one am glad that I have swapped aliases (apart from sparkes) and
accounts for the last 10 years cos I am embarassed by some of the
stupidity and biased replies I used to give.

After almost 10 years of using linux and more of having access to unix
machines I still can't do the most basic administration and break at
least one machine a week ;-)

sparkes