[Wolves] Beard Hacks

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Wed Jan 7 20:57:22 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 08:39, Matthew Revell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Following on from my email about Spidering Hacks, I would like your advice
> on beard hacks. By default, I have developed something of an unruly facial
> growth and, as many of the gents in here are either bearded or reformed
> bearders, I thought this'd be a good place to get beard upkeep tips.

yeah cos we are a bunch of quality beardies ;-) a quick look around
suggests that we are a group you should take styling tips off.  Why,
just the other day the BBC offered us a show as the new Trinny and
Suzzane.  'Geek eye for the Straight Guy' could have made us a fortune
if only Aq hadn't worn that pissing hat to the interview ;-)  Mmmmm,
another idea for lug radio perhaps?

> I'd definitely describe my beard as of the free software variety, in that
> it is totally unkempt (that analogy being a reflection on the beards worn
> by the likes of RMS, rather than implying that free software is unkempt,
> ahem).

my advice is let it find it's own shape and length.  My beard looks best
when short and trimmed into a neat shape but I hate having to trim my
beard almost as much as I hate shaving.

Everybody is different don't try to force it to do something it doesn't
want to do.  Remember all the hair styles you wanted and the amount of
money you spent on crap to try and keep it that shape until you gave up
and started choosing styles that suit your hair.  you can't gell your
beard without looking like a sexual deviant ;-)

The full on free software guru look suits some people (Ron, Dan and
Simon for example), Aq would look like a pirate with this sort of
beard.  Long beards suit jono because of the texture of his hair but
make me look like Lord Lucan smoking dope on an indian beach.

> Any advice appreciated.

advice, rantings and general obnoxiousness a speciality.

> Matt.

sparkes