[Wolves] multi-booting

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Wed Jan 7 20:57:23 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 19:02, david wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> Can anyone help me with setting up 2 versions of Linux on the same hard drive please???

yup, haven't done it for a while, but it is easier than you think ;-)

> I have XP Pro and Mandrake 9.2 installed and have just over 9Gig left unpartitioned with the idea of putting SuSE 9.0 on.

shouldn't be a problem, if you can live with XP so can we ;-)

> I've tried this before with redhat and mandrake and ended up with an unbootable system.

ok, here goes.

when installing suse don't choose one of the default options.  despite
only playing with suse for a couple of months a mere matter of weeks ago
I can't for the life of me remember the option you want ;-) but there
definatly is a uber user settings

choose the partitions you want to install on.  for your needs just
partition the remanding 9 gigs as ext3 (to make sure that both linui can
see it for fixing any problems that may occur)

choose the existing swap partition cos you don't need two.

remember where the existing linux partition is /dev/hda1 or 2 or 3 ;-) I
would think.

when the installer asks you to add entries to grub (I think suse uses
grub) add the existing linux partition as 'Linux 1' the new one as
'Linux 2' and Windows XP as 'ok, so I am weak' or labels that you
understand ;-)

choose which one should boot as default and let the baby reboot.

from then on you should be able to choose each linux and XP from grub.

> many thanks

no warrenty blah blah blah, your mileage may vary, I didn't do it ;-)

> nux

sparkes