[Wolves] Consultancy work thingie for union office.

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Thu Jan 8 12:03:23 GMT 2004

fizzy wrote:
>  --- Aquarius <aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org> wrote:
>>This is clearly a fizzy and bambam question. Where
>>are you guys?
>
> I was watching football (if you can call it that).
>
> You've pretty much said everything.  Freenet is a bad
> idea, and doesn't have much to do with the internet
> AFAIK, it's a seperate internet (I guess there might
> be a gateway or somat?).  SSL to an anonymous proxy or
> use the cdc thingy or vpn to another machine for
> internet usage.
>
> For file storage do they have a server at the moment
> or are they just saving files on the machine as they
> go?
The latter I believe.

  As this is a management attack I can't think
> they'll be particually skilled in there snooping ways
> so maximum paranoia isn't required....
Yeah, but apparently the management have the IT department in their
pockets because of supposed impending redundancies or something.
Anyway, they aren't trusted and I've been told to assume they are
complicit.  That complicates things.

However, what with it being a council I'd expect most of the IT
department to be MCSE monkeys who wouldn't know network security if it
danced around them naked carrying a sign saying 'I am network security'.
  :)  I could be wrong there though, and I'd like to be as sure as I can
be that I have made it as difficult as I can for the spying to take place.

I'm expecting to find Desktop Scout or somesuch software on the
machines.  I might go armed with an evaluation copy of PestPatrol.

--
Dan