[Wolves] Small Linuxes

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 14:18:55 GMT 2004

I've been given an old 486 4MB laptop by work as it
was going in a skip. Do I have a hope of using it for
anything (other than Windows 3.1 which is on there)?

It's a Mitac 4023 and I have the original manual, plus
a spec sheet (.pdf) is at
http://www.mitacservice.com/visitor/fcabdl.asp?fid=49900698

It has a built in floppy drive so at least I can get
stuff on there and a pcmcia slot, but I'm no expert on
old hardware so I'm not sure yet (ie nothing implied
by the BIOS, the manual or Win3.1) whether it's a
486SX, DX33 or DX2-66 or what speed it is. I can
upgrade to 20MB RAM (woohoo!) as it will take a 16MB
72pin Page Mode DIMM, thereby getting around the 4MB
boot problem I have googled.

Basically what I'd like is suggestions for what
purpose I can put it to (I can live without X if I can
use it for network stuff), what distros to look at (v
important) and how to find out if I need maths
coprocessor emulation (which I guess is implicit in
finding out which 486 variant it has).

>From my googling so far it looks a pretty hairy
project so any advice will be greatly recieved.
Otherwise Win3.1 will win :(

Ad

=====
http://www.drinky.org.uk