[Wolves] Editors

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Sun Jan 18 16:35:52 GMT 2004

fizzy spoo'd forth:
> --- Aquarius <aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org> wrote:
>> So I've changed it. To XEmacs.
>
> JUDAS!!!!

Sorry :)

>> First question: any Emacs users got any tips for
>> things I can do to
>> make my emacs experience more pleasurable? ;)
>
> What's the quit key again?

On my xemacs? Ctrl-Q. :-)

>> Second question: any way I can speed the smegger up
>> a bit on startup?
>> It takes ages while it loads up a load of libraries
>> and whatnot...
>
> That's what emacs does! It's huge and fugly and does
> loads of stuff that it just doesn't need to, go get a
> proper editor and not an o/s with an editor included
> :)
> fizz - who uses joe

Well, I'm open to suggestions. My editor must:

1. Allow me to rebind keys to any function that the editor can do.
2. Either have a programming language built in, or allow me to select
a block and pipe the contents of that block through an external program.
3. Have customisable decent syntax highlighting.
4. Work in X and on the console (or, at a pinch, just on the console,
and I'll spawn an xterm for it when I'm in X)
5. Not confuse the shit out of me.
6. Not be modal. Modal editors are arse.
7. Let me select blocks with shift+arrows.

All the GUI editors die on point 4. Vim dies on 6. Joe dies on 3, I think,
from the last time I used it, and possibly on 2, and possibly on 1. Jed
dies on 5 -- it seems that I could do everything I want but I don't
understand it. (X)Emacs died on 5, up until I found a very handy "make
Emacs behave like a fucking sane editor" page. FTE died on 2, but it was
the best of a bad bunch, so it's what I was using until recently. So,
pimp your favourite editor to me and explain how it meets all my criteria,
and I'll switch to it like a shot.

Aq.

--
In 1988 there was the war, and after that there were no more roses. Not
for anybody.