[Wolves] GPL, IP and patents..

Lee Parkes leep at bogus.net
Mon Jan 19 17:14:35 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 04:17:08PM +0000, Old Dan wrote:

> How exactly have they worded this?  It does sound a bit like the person
> who drafted this has something shoved up his/her own a$$.  Or needs to.

I'm not sure who wrote it, but I'm sure they don't understand the principles
over free software and the GPL..

> copyright or other anyway and this is probably just seen by them as an
> added protection.

If it was derivative of company work then I'd say fair enough. However, it
depends on how general they want to be. For example, if I used iptables to
solve a work problem and then used a similar idea to do something in my own
time then am I breaking the T&C of my contract?

> Which software is it which is being worked on, is it /all/ based on
> GPLed stuff?

Linux for a start off, and anything that runs atop of Linux, e.g. PHP, MySQL,
all of the normal networking tools and apps that are useful.

Lee

leep at bogus.net DOC #25 GLASS #136
You can never break the chain
There is never love without pain - Secret Touch, Rush