[Wolves] GPL, IP and patents..

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 20:17:00 GMT 2004

 --- Lee Parkes <leep at bogus.net> wrote: > Hi,
> The company I work for has recently seen fit to
> amend all of our contracts and
> get us to sign them agreeing to some new conditions.
> The bit I'm worried about
> regards the fact that they own my ass 24x7 and
> anything I do AT ANY TIME EVEN
> ON MY OWN EQUIPMENT, belongs to them.

I can't advise on the GPL part as I don't know enough
on the ins and outs, but that part above would worry
me. That seems a bit(!) unfair to me.

I know that these things aren't uncommon, I think
David Goodwin said he was faced with one and I think
HP had Steve Wozniak of Apple on one when he built the
first Apple I (though iirc they laughed at him when he
showed the prototype to them and asked what normal
people would want with computers (congratulations,
join the list with the guy who turned down the Beatles
;)), but do you want to offer anything you do in your
spare time to your employers? Thats harsh.

I guess it's a case of how much you like your job, but
if I were applying for a job, I wouldn't choose that
one. Then again, it depends on who your employer is...
Mine is a college so maybe it doesn't matter to me, if
I were employed by IBM it might seem more reasonable.

Hope you get this sorted out :)

Ad

=====
http://www.drinky.org.uk