[Wolves] Editors

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Tue Jan 20 00:29:45 GMT 2004

Chris Procter spoo'd forth:
[Emacs keybindings]
>> No. Absolutely not. See, this is one of the reasons why I've never used
>> Emacs in the past. I like my editor to work in a particular way, so, in
>> essence, since MyPerfectEditor doesn't exist as a set of defaults, what
>> I want is an editor which is customisable enough to make it into MPE with
>> a bit of tweaking. People who persist in telling me that what I want is
>> wrong and I should be doing it their way instead get the bum's rush PDQ.
> :)
>
> What you want is no more wrong then emacs default keybindings are wrong,
> they are just different. My point is the defaults are worth learning because
> they have wider uses then just emacs. Plus of course if you change machines
> you still know what your doing.

I don't find the emacs keybindings useful elsewhere; I don't use them anywhere,
really. Readline and so on work with them, true, but I've never needed them.
I'm resigned to how on someone else's box I won't have my editor defaults, but
I'm happy with that, pretty much. I'd much rather be super-productive here...

>> > The most important thing I learned as an emacs newbie is that C-g is the
>> > cancel key for when you accidently find yourself having pressed some
> weird
>> > key combination.
>>
>> I don't press any weird key combinations.
>
> Wow! I wish I went to your typing school cos you must be the only person in
> the world who never hits the wrong key by mistake.

Honestly, I don't. To be honest, hitting wrong keys is less a problem in most
editors than it is in Emacs, because in other editors most key combinations
don't *do* anything...

>> See, people have said that. But I work in a virtual desktop environment,
> and
>> I like a separate window per file I'm editing. I don't like editing more
>> than one file in a window -- that's MDI, and it's pants. Moreover, if
>> I'm working on one virtual desktop, and I try to edit a file, I don't want
>> to have to switch to a different virtual desktop in order to get at my
>> Emacs window. If I can have it start a new frame on the v.d. I'm on, but
>> still run as part of the same Emacs process, then great, but I don't know
>> how to do that.
>
> Ahh not something I do really (although it does make a lot of sense when
> you're working on multiple virtual desktops so maybe I should give it a
> try). You can start a new frame under the same emacs process (on mine
> new-frame is mapped to "C-x 5 2" but with yours who knows) and then move
> that to a different desktop, you can also start a new frame on a different
> display. There is also an emacs server / client type setup but you'll have
> to search the info pages for more details on that I'm afraid.

What I don't quite get about the gnuserv thing is that I generally don't
have multiple editor windows open at once. If I'm editing something then
I keep that window open while I'm editing it and close it down when I've
finished, so I don't have lots of editor screens (and therefore there is
generally not an emacs process running already when I want to edit a file).

Aq.

--
Just point your web browser at http://www.python.org/search/ and look
for "program", "doesn't", "work", or "my". Whenever you find someone