[Wolves] GPL, IP and patents..

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Tue Jan 20 12:22:28 GMT 2004

Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
> Yeah, but at the risk of offending lots of people (perhaps millions,
> considering the Googling of the archive :) ), you can pretty much train
> anyone to be a car mechanic. Using computers beyond the way I use my car
> (i.e. an a to b machine, where the bonnet remains closed, unless I run out
> of screenwash) takes something far more.

I'm not sure how to put this politely, but: cobblers. :)

I invite you to look under the bonnet of a BMW or something. Cars were
easy to fix in 1961. Now it's all electronic this and engine management
system that and whatever. Your objection here may be: you never look (and
never need to look) under the bonnet of your car. That's because you're
a simple car driver who isn't interested in the technology; you just want
to doa simple task (go from A to B) with the minimum of fuss. Apply that
analogy to a majority of computer users, who just want to write a document,
print it, and read their email and then shut the machine off. Complexity,
and interest, are where you find them, really.

Aq.

--
 The carrot is hiding in your coat pocket.  "Don't let me be
eaten!" it begs in a pathetic, orange voice.