[Wolves] GPL, IP and patents..

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Tue Jan 20 13:57:38 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 11:37, fizzy wrote:

> I dunno, playstation already has a retro chic, as does
> the n64.
The n64 is more credible as a retro machine than it was new.  Goldeneye,
Mario cart and zelda are as cool now as they ever where but without the
'I bought this dam machine so I could play 6 games' label.  ;-)

> However the more old school machines have
> raised a generation of programers,
depends on how old school you look the further back you go the better
the hacker.  Ask Ron about some of his old hardware ;-) when you had to
wire wrap that logic yourself.

We just played and carried that on into our working life.  Our attention
span was as short as the loading of the latest pirate software unless we
where coding.  They called hyperactive in the 80's but once they learnt
we could do somethings for hours without interaction (such as hacking a
cool demo that shows (or looks like it does) three colours per character
block on a speccy) they changed it to ADD or ADHD.  Something a large
percentage of my generation and later generations suffer from.

> and the new
> machines have raised a generation of users
can't even wait for the load screen on a dvd rom based console without
getting pissed off ;-)

> I think.
therefore I am

> As
> my tshirt says...
> 10 print "I am cool"
> 20 goto 10

We learnt all the hacks to stop the break keys working on the different
machines to make these hacks even cooler.

10 poke 99999 (or whatever the location was)
20 print "Dixons is a wank shop buy your games at software city!"
30 go to 20

This really fscked the machines, we used to love watching the salesman
doing what they had been told would work in this situation and then
panicing ;-)

sparkes