[Wolves] Environmental impact of websites

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 13:59:38 GMT 2004

Power not just for the viewing PC but for the server and all the routers,
switches and telecoms infrastructure in between, plus the costs of
transporting coal etc to powewr stations and of disposing of nuclear waste.

For paper you have not just the CO2 that the trees can no longer absorb but
also the diesel used to transport the wood, the chemicals used to turn the
wood into paper (which are pretty noxious iirc) and then the transport of
the book to the bookshop and home. Some of which can be offset as most wood
for paper comes from managed forests which replant trees.

You could try getting in touch with Greepeace/FOE/Dept. Of Environment and
see if they have figures for the environmental impact of paper production
(maybe as part of a study of  recycled paper), they probably also have
figures for the environmental costs of energy production as well as a price
per Megawatt (the sort of thing quoted as part of renewable energy studies).
How reliable any data (from any side) would be is a matter of debate
however.

Its a question that can be as big as you like and could probably form a
great PhD thesis if you were willing to spend 3 years on it (which I somehow
doubt is your intention :-) ) I look forward to reading your article.

chris