[Wolves] GPL, IP and patents..

Lee Parkes leep at bogus.net
Tue Jan 20 18:42:35 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 01:16:52PM -0000, Chris Procter wrote:

> Another clause stated I couldn't take any work in the same business
> anywhere, and couldn't work for any company at all within a 10 mile radius
> of Hall Green (which covers pretty much all of Birmingham). That got cut as
> well.

I think (but don't quote me) that would be difficult for a company to enforce
that. In a roundabout way they are forcing you to either move house or to be
unemployed, which I'm sure the dole people would take a very dim view of.

> So my advice is, if you have a problem with it take it to your boss along
> with your best "I'm willing to be reasonable if you are but...",
> non-confrontational face, and explain reasonably your issues, its possible
> they are just seeing what they can get away with without anyone complaining.

Yeah, I did that :) They admitted that they just had a solicitor draw it up and
didn't really understand it all that well. Still they were willing to change it
because someone else had pointed it out as well.

The way it works with me though is if I don't like something I'll say so, if
don't/won't change then I quietly look for another job, hand my notice in and
leave. I never play games with that, give them a chance, so long as the request
is reasonable and see what happens. If they refuse to see the situation and try
to work something out then I don't want to work for them anyway.

Lee

leep at bogus.net DOC #25 GLASS #136
You can never break the chain
There is never love without pain - Secret Touch, Rush