[Wolves] Archive via Google

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Tue Jan 20 18:54:11 GMT 2004

sparkes spoo'd forth:
>> you want to add a new word or gramatical structure to the language all you
>> have to do is persuade enough people that its usefull, it is (sometimes
>> literally) a language developed in the bazaar.
> This is how all languages develop.  You can't create a language and
> expect people to use it.  Esperanto and some offical signing languages
> have proved this.  A pidgeon language will form and from that a creole
> rather than use any language dictated from an offical source.

That would be "pidgin". :-)

Pidgins develop between two communities without language in common. A creole
is a pidgin tongue that's grown up a bit, although some people might
disagree with this. The distinction between them and, say, Esperanto, is
that Esperanto is the language of *neither* of the communities; it's daft
to make *everyone* learn a new language. Besides, the lingua franca these
days is English, conveniently enough for us.

Aq.

--
Penelope Pitstop: Ohhh, it's my arch enemy, the Hooded Claw!
The Hooded Claw: Who did you expect? Dick Dastardly?