[Wolves] *nix packaging; was RPM

fizzy fizzyorguk at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 09:49:33 GMT 2004

 --- Simon Burke <its_simon_burke at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'll have to bring this one back, Whick packaging
> system (ie rpm, deb, plain
> source, etc) is the best option at the momment.
> I'd vote source cuz its not quite as likely to go
> wrong, ie u can check and
> change config files if u have a strange etup :)

Source has it's advantages.  You can get the bleeding
edge version of software, you know where it is, what
it does, and compiling stuff makes you feel cool ;)
However, binarys are also nice.  They're quick,
simple, and don't give you stress about dependencies.
I'd like a machine that can handle both, however it
seems everything wants you to use it's system and it's
system alone.  I'm getting more used to apt and debian
at the moment tho. So while I wouldn't run it on
anything important (security critical) it's ok for my
laptop (famous last words).

fizz