[Wolves] *nix packaging; was RPM

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Wed Jan 21 10:00:35 GMT 2004

sparkes wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 01:52, Simon Burke wrote:
>
>>I'll have to bring this one back, Whick packaging system (ie rpm, deb, plain
>>source, etc) is the best option at the momment.
>>I'd vote source cuz its not quite as likely to go wrong, ie u can check and
>>change config files if u have a strange etup :)
>
> only one answer to this APT ;-)
>
> It rarely fails to install, upgrade or remove anything you throw at it.
>>From a sinlge passage to the whole system it just works ;-)
::dons asbestos suit::

Piffle.  It all depends on how well the database itself is kept up to
date.  It just so happens the Debian database is the best maintained,
but with woody that is at the expense of having less up-to-date
packages.  Intrinsically apt is no better than rpm IMHO.

Try installing from sources other than the Debian official ones and you
may find yourself in dependency hell again.  In fact, even in official
Sarge there are still some packages which just Don't Work right now... :)
(Though as it's a 'testing' distribution that's not suprising...)

--
Dan