[Wolves] Debian startup

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Sat Jan 24 17:09:25 GMT 2004

fizzy spoo'd forth:
> What's the official way of getting a program to launch
> on startup under debian? I was going to just add it to
> a random init level but I'm sure there will be a much
> cleaner way of doing this. I only want it to get a
> dhcp address on startup!

For this particular case, you need to edit the /etc/network/interfaces
file.

[ aquarius at giles ] ~ $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Ethernet
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

For a more general "start on boot" addition, add an entry in
/etc/init.d and then use update-rc.d to put it in the correct
runlevel, if you're using SysVinit bootscripts like Debian does by
default.

Aq.

--
Using Cold Fusion to teach programming concepts is like using collage
to teach surgery.