[Wolves] Building a PC: suggestions

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 17:20:11 GMT 2004

>  - I want an Intel Pentium processor. AMD processor
> chipsets have certain issues and I want to avoid
> these.

Such as? I've never had any problems with AMD processors... and have
found them always excellent (value for money, performance etc).

>  - Disk speed is very important, and I need something
> that is reliable and fast. I also need a
> motherboard/controller to support this.

Firewire? Ultra-XYZ ATA ?

>  - I would preferably like at least a gig of memory.

I'd have thought memory would be the easy bit!

> I want to build all this for under £500.

You don't ask for much, do you?!

For true budget systems, the ASUS Predators are quite cool - they are
small, quiet and pack a good punch. There's a limit to upgradability of
course, but most people don't need much considering nearly everything is
on board.

I'd almost suggest a Predator with an addon SCSI card + fast SCSI
disk... I'd guess the predator + CPU + memory would be about 250 quid
(?) which would have onboard graphics/sound/lan.

We buy our stuff from http://www.ballicom.co.uk ..

http://www.ballicom.co.uk/subcategories.aspx?catid=28&subcatid=sysBarebone

David.