[Wolves] Archive via Google

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 21:44:53 GMT 2004

Chris Procter said:

> If so then this implies however that grammer nazis can never be correct
> because there is no correct or incorrect usage only the opinion of
> individual users, so there can be no right or wrong in English usage only
> stable and development branches, and forks (e.g. American English).

I'm not a fan of pedantry, as I make plenty of mistakes myself! However,
carrying on with open source analogy, you could look upon grammar as
English's API. Things can still work if people don't follow the
conventions but there's less room for ambiguity if people do follow the
rules. I'm not talking about the bullshit rules like not splitting
infinitives, tho'; that particular one was made up by some vicar a couple
of hundred years ago, after he'd spent too much time reading Latin.

Anyway, apols to everyone who finds this dull :)