[Wolves] MS web dev

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Thu Jan 29 12:07:02 GMT 2004

Simon Burke spoo'd forth:
> help!, i've got to develop the company sites using on dreamweaver and a tool
> thecompany bought for DHTML. I cant use frames, i prolly cant use css
> properly cuz boss will moan bout having issuses with IE as its not fully
> compliant, complies to css1 core rather than the full set within css1.
> Oh and i can only use .Net and DHTML for anything beyond normal HTML. OH and
> at the momment he opposes open source technologies, but im working on it. At
> hthe momment the sites look like this one:
>
> http://www.www-developer.com/
>
> but he wants it moderninsed and renovated, any suggestions how i can do this
> using only .NET and DHTML, I will prolly persuade him to let me use advanced
> features of css (http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/), but again IE may
> not like it..

IE can do a reasonable amount of stuff, and there's nothing stopping
you either emulating more advanced functionality with JavaScript, or
just adding "enhancements" that improve the page experience in Mozilla
etc without depending on them to work. On the .NET side I can't help
you -- if that's your server technology, then that's what you have to
use. On the third hand, .NET isn't all VB.NET, you know. You could use
JScript.NET to get a relatively decent server side language, or even
Python.NET if you know Python -- it'd be all that your boss requires
but still be a nice language. Don't worry -- this isn't that onerous a
set of requirements. In practice, everyone designing public sites has
to get around IE's restrictions; you can do it with a combination of
not using very advanced CSS techniques, CSS hacks to fix IE bugs, and
JavaScript emulation of more complex features.

Aq.

--
Don't panic (even if your terminals start printing "all your dialup
accounts are belong to us" repeatedly)