[Wolves] {Dangerous Filename?} Hi

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 20:54:12 GMT 2004

On Thursday 29 Jan 2004 1:31 pm, Chris Procter wrote:
> Does anyone know what a .pif file actually is, the only ones I have ever
> encountered have been viruses but I assume not even windows would reserve a
> file extension for viruses.

It stands for "Program Information File", which is used to store various
settings for running a DOS application from within Windows (ie within a "DOS
box"/Virtual DOS Machine).

The settings cover areas such as:

 - The font used to display the text
 - The initial size of the window, or whether it runs full-screen
 - Whether the window closes when the program quits
 - Memory allocation (including EMS and XMS and other such curiosities)
 - Various settings relating to multi-tasking

Operating systems prior to Windows 95 (or NT 4.0) included a utility called
"PIF Editor" which allowed such files to be created and edited. Under
subsequent versions, this functionality is accessed by right-clicking on the
application and choosing "Properties". If the executable does not include a
header indicating that it is a Windows application then there will be
additional properties tabs corresponding to the old PIF Editor settings. A
PIF file will be created in the directory if you change any of the settings
and click on "OK" or "Apply".

For the greater convenience of virus writers everywhere, in certain
circumstances where a PIF is actually a (renamed) Windows executable itself
it ends up getting run directly. IIRC, as an added bonus the author can even
specify the icon to be used in Windows Explorer (like JPEG image, etc).
Perfect for all those users who retain the default setting of hiding filename
extensions!

James