[Wolves] Linux Question - user management

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Thu Jul 1 18:32:34 BST 2004

On Thursday 01 Jul 2004 10:00, David Goodwin wrote:
> Re-LoaD wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >     this may be a simple question but I have not had the need to think
> > about such things...
> >
> > can you / how do you -- restrict users to a fixed number of processes,
> > amount of memory and cpu percentage ??
> >
> > as usual helps for your time.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Re-LoaD
>
> man ulimit

That's the one. (The relevant info is actually buried deep in the bash manpage
on my system). The trick is to put the ulimit command in the user's login
script, .xinitrc, /etc/profile or some other location that forces the user to
run it every time they log in.

> that's all i know of... there are probably some /proc entries which may
> help out?

Don't know of anything in /proc offhand, but see also "man getrlimit" for more
background information on the underlying API functions that are used by the
ulimit command.

James