[Wolves] Resizing /var

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 08:04:46 BST 2004

Wayne Morris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my /var partition is far too small - only 250 mb out of a 4gb drive, I
> also have a 40gb drive in the machine mounted elsewhere.
> Whats the best solution for making /var bigger? its currently mounted as
> hdd6. I've had a look at gnu parted but its a bit over my head.
>
> Cheers

First way - replace /var partition with larger one from elsewhere :
=--------=
Create a new partition on the new disk. Make it e.g 1gb.

Go to single user level (init 1)

cp -Rp /var /mnt/newPartition

umount /var    (may need to fuser -km /dev/forVar ?)

Change the disk to the new partition is mounted as /var

Edit fstab, and go back to multi user level.

Alternatively :

mkdir /other/disk/var
cp -Rp /var/* /other/disk/var

umount /var

rmdir var

ln -s /other/disk/var /var

Quicker (?) and easy to do, but may cause problems if var is required
*before* the other disk is mounted. (unlikely, but you might break
something in the future).

David.