[Wolves] Packet Protocols

Tom Edwards lists at t0m.me.uk
Tue Jul 6 14:22:50 BST 2004

Hello All,

    Having returned home and and being moaned at for leeching all the
bandwidth I was investigating wondershaping the firewall. However with
the default debian kernel this causes all the packets to be dropped by
default because of some kernel switch (or so my research leads to
believe, it breaks my firewall anyway). After recompiling a new kernel,
I now can't seem to get dhclient to get a lease from the blueyonder dhcp
server, it keeps complaining:

Jul  6 13:33:59 grasmere dhcpd-2.2.x: socket: Protocol not available -
make sure CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel
configuration!

Which I should have been activated in the kernel (2.2.26 btw).

Anyone know why ths is? Anyone seen it before?

Would be most grateful if you could give me any pointers because its
bugging me.

Tom