[Wolves] web stats

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Mon Jul 12 02:44:52 BST 2004

On Sunday 11 Jul 2004 23:20, Rob Annable wrote:
> Ok, I need someone to help me understand something that is probably very
> simple.
>
> Web stats - what's the difference between visits, pages and hits?

The exact criteria used to define each depends on your log analysis software,
but as a general rule:

A "hit" is a single file fetched from the web server. For example, if a client
fetches a page which contains 5 images, that counts as 6 hits (1 for the page
itself, 5 for the images).

A "page" is a file fetched from the server that represents a single web page.
In the above example, the "hit" for the HTML file would also count as a
"page", but the images would not be included in the count. The criteria for
whether or not a "hit" also counts as a "page" is typically based on the
filetype/extension.

Typically, a "visit" is defined as a sequence of hits from the same client IP
address with a time gap between adjacent hits of not more than a specific
threshold. Various other methods of counting visits are also possible, such
as using session cookies.

Hope this helps.

James