[Wolves] Web hosting for our church

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Jul 12 19:39:21 BST 2004

Mo Awkati wrote:

>Hi Folk
>
>I need help,advice,and charity if possible! I have
>volunteered to put together and manage our church's
>website. My questions are:
>
>1- I understand that the St.Peterskinver.org domain is
>free in the sense that it is not used, or indeed if
>there is such a domain. How can I check this out?

go to a website that looks up names in the whois database to see if they
are free  123reg.co.uk is about as cheap as they come so enter the name
on there and they will tell you if it's available and won't charge a lot
for it.

>2. Can you recommend a host(preferably if they use
>Linux :-))that is not too expensive, or if someone out
>there willing to donate :-)?

I would ask nicely and see if someone can come to the rescue on this one.

>3. Any suggestions in terms of software that I need to
>put the website together is appreciated. I thought
>about using OpenOffice as it seems to do the job as I
>am not particularly knowledgeable about HTML, though I
>can learn it quickly if necessary. I have KBear for
>doing the file transfers.

If you want I can knock out a template for you to use and then it's just
a case of editing the body of each extra page you want to add.

>4. As I will be scanning docs regularly, I will try
>now and get my Primax Colorado Direct 9600 scanner to
>work with  SuSE. I checked the SANE website and it is
>not supported but it mentions a front end programme
>that talks to it apparently. If this fails, can you
>recommend a scanner that works flawlessly with SuSE
>and is not too expensive.

look on a site that sells scanners, find one you like and then check
it's status in sane.  Most are based on a couple of different chipsets
so it's not hard to get a one scanner working if another in the same
family.  I am pretty sure the manufacturers understand this and are
making sure the right people get the resources to get the job done.
It's not done in house so they don't offically support it but most
modern scanners from a decent company will have at least modest support
these days.

>I think this is an excellent opportunity for promoting
>Opensource, and I know I can show that Linux is
>superior to Windows, so I am going for it!

go for it

>All help will be appreciated and I am sure the Vicar
>will put a good word in for the Wolvs LUG!!

cool, I can but in a good word with Steve Bull if it helps you guys any ;-)

>Cheers
>
>Mo

sparkes