[Wolves] Web hosting for our church

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 09:33:05 BST 2004

On Tuesday 13 Jul 2004 19:30, The wise and knowledgeable James Turner
proclaimed:

> > I used to get this every so often. I vaguely remember hearing that the
> > company concerned was subsequently investigated by trading standards
> > following a complaint. The trading standards folks demanded to see
> > evidence that the alleged other companies actually existed, and when the
> > evidence was not forthcoming ordered them to desist.

Hmm
If they register it themselves then they are telling the truth (but not the
whole truth) in respect that they are another company and they are looking to
register it.

> In another similar scam, we received what appeared to be an invoice to
> renew a domain resembling the company's name, but following further
> enquiries around the offices, no staff knew anything about it ever having
> been purchased in the first place.

Now thats a good one and will go in my forth comming book which about three
people will buy 'Scam's Fault Calls and Humans' should be a winner.

> It was, in fact, an advert designed to trick people into registering a
> domain they didn't actually want. This domain had been speculatively
> purchased by the purpotrators in the hope that we'd buy it off them.

I know of a Reseller that supplies evaluation software that is full product
they supply on a 30 day basis but get the end user to sign an invoice, if
they are timid, when the 30 days are up payment is demanded on the basis that
the product has been used and cannot be re-sold the software is from an
extremely well known companys stable of products (It begins with S) the
company is aware of this practice but are doing whats known as a 'Pontius
Pilot'

Its not me guy's I'm as honest as the day is long!! :-D

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"