[Wolves] Laptops

TriG carl at fr0st.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 21:13:03 BST 2004

Hi,
Philip Moore wrote:
> I am converting to Linux with the intention of using it as the main OS. I
> cannot abandon Windows (I use Windows 2000 pro)  as I have to operate within
> a Windows environment outside my home system.
>
> I currently run SuSE 8.2 on an old IBM Think Pad - successfully but very slow.
>
> I am about to purchase a new laptop and feel that I would benefit from the
> experience of others who use Linux on a laptop.
>
> My questions are:
>
> a. What laptops can experienced users recommend

I run a Toshiba Satelite Pro 6100.. Tosh's are really nice laptops, and
all the hardware for me, is supported. Wireless, DVD/CDRW, Modem, Lan,
Sound, irDA and Bluetooth.

> b. What laptops are best avoided

I personally would not go for anything that is a Centrino, simply
because the support for Linux is either in its very early stages, or is
still not working..

I'm assuming its because half the developers at Intel, love Linux and
the others hate it. So the Centrino was born to piss Linux users off..

> c. Which laptops are best suited to dual booting (Linux / 2000 pro)

Mmmm, something with a nice sized hard drive.. :) Its the OS that
handles the Dual Boot, not the hardware.. So choose a disti thats easy
to use and manage the dual boot. Something Like SUSE would pick up the
Windows install, as you know..

> I hope you can assist me in this matter as all laptops sold come with XP home
> (!).
>
> Your assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Philip Moore

Hope this helps..

triG