[Wolves] RE: Wolves Digest, Vol 43, Issue 9

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 13:31:16 BST 2004

On Friday 16 Jul 2004 11:15, The wise and knowledgeable
h.berry at blueyonder.co.uk proclaimed:

> Greetings,
> Whilst some of you are on the sun-lit uplands others are struggling in the
> foothills.

There ain't no one in the sun-lit uplands! there are those who think they are
in the sun-lit uplands  more commonly known as 'Billy no Mates'

> Sometimes I think that it is no coincidence Linux has been
> invented by a Swede. It seems to follow the same pattern as many of their
> famous inventions like the sauna (especially the whipping with birch twigs
> and plunging  into icy water), you have to have determination that all this
> will be ultimately good for you. After trying Fedora 1, I thought I would
> try Fedora 2. A big black void ensued- like the Scandinavian winter.

what was the problem with your Fedora 2 install? can you be more specific?
"A big black void" is a little vague, hmm no its not, its useless as
description :-)

> So I  jumped ship and headed for Germany. SuSE 9 is my latest bed of nails.

Theres just no pleasing some people <Grin>

> Success! Well......... nearly. So at last to my particular problem. When
> SuSE is loading, my monitor displays everything beautifully. When It has
> finished and I am into KDE, my Proview TFT monitor puts up a little sign in
> the middle of the screen to let me know that VGA is not supported. Behind
> KDE is accessible and most things seem to work OK. I have had a fiddle with
> Yast, but to no avail. Has anyone any advice?

The top and bottom seems to be your monitor is not supported but thats not
strictly true as you should be able to get away with a generic monitor
driver.

What is the graphics card?

I'm a little confused by your ending paragraph you say everything is fine
apart from you get a VGA warning but then go on to say you have been
'fiddling with Yast but to no avail'.

What are you trying to do/download?

I use Fedora 2 and Suse 9.1 Pro :-)

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"