[Wolves] 1&1

trog trog at trog-oz.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 17 19:04:43 BST 2004

On Saturday 17 July 2004  9:05 am, you wrote:
> Hi Folk
>
> further to my previous thread about our church, I
> might have a sponsor to look after the finance of the
> website. So I am now checking out the hosts. I have
> come across the 1&1 literature with the LinuxFormat
> mag anyone knows about them? They offer a Linux based
> hosting which I am tempted by.

I have personal experience of this company and I was not impressed
with their service.  I do the tech support on www.ballet.co.uk.  The site
was on a shared server with Postive-Internet (a really great company).
It had grown way to big for a shared server; it was about 9 times the
allowed disk space.  They sent the owners a email along the lines of
"Guys, when you've got some time, can you prune the site, so rush"
I suspect other companies may well have either pruned it for you
or pulled the plug.

Anyway, the owners decided to go for a dedicated server and 1&1
were very competively priced and have adequate bandwith to support
the huge number of hits the site gets.  I'd ported the site's static pages
over and I was fiddling about, getting it all humming smoothly, waiting for
the official cut over.  One day, I tried to get onto the 1&1 box and it was
down; this was a Friday evening. I contacted the help desk and was told that
the credit card used to pay the monthly account had expired, so rather than
emailing the card holder to arrange an alternative payment, they had simply
pulled the plug on the site.  They could reconnect it but only on the
following Monday, when the accounts department were back at work.
This would mean that had the site been live, it would have been off the air
for a weekend, which in the case of this site, would be terrible as it is
very newsy.

The site owners decided that Positive-Internet, although far from the
cheapest, had given such great service in the past, so they decided to fork
out the extra money and have the dedicated server with them.  Since then,
I've put one of the work's sites up on a shared server with Postive and this
new offerring gives more disk space that was previously allowed.  I've found
their help desk very competent and quick to respond.

I'm sure that 1&1 has many satisfied customers; they would very quickly go
out of business if they didn't, but we were very unhappy.  It was fun though
seeing the command prompt in German (which is where the box lived).  I think
it was running SuSe.

--
Trog Woolley  |  trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk
(A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)