[Wolves] SATA?

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 10:57:55 BST 2004

Hi all.

Does anyone know the status of SATA with Linux at the
moment? I'm looking at a bigger hard drive and have
SATA connectors on my mb and don't really want to have
to shuffle installations and disks (my current setups
are on a pair of parallel ATA drives).

When I first heard about SATA the article said that
the nature of the interface (parallel or serial) would
be transparent to Linux and would just work, however I
recall Aq saying that a colleague of his had trouble
running Knoppix or Morphix as his machine was SATA.

I would like to either just drop in a SATA disk as
extra storage, leaving the existing installations
alone, or have the SATA disk as the one my machine
boots from, in which case would LILO be able to boot
from it?

I think the controller is a Silicon Image SiI 3112.

Thanks,

Ad

=====
--