[Wolves] Open Source successes at work

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Thu Jul 22 10:36:15 BST 2004

Stuart Langridge wrote:
> Old Dan wrote:
>
>> The other software which comes with [OU] courses is IME almost
>> exclusively windows-only though.  Although they do send some Open
>> Source software out in the form of Star Office(for Windows...)
>
> Really? The Java courses I did for my masters were supplied with a copy
> of JBuilder 4, with both Linux and Windows executables on the CD. Worked
> fine for me (although Linux is, amazingly enough, "unsupported" by the OU).

Maybe they are a bit more Linux-friendly on the actual computer courses
(presumably because they recognise that a larger proportion of computer
students will be using Linux...)  However S196 Planets, S282 Astronomy
and S292 Explaining The Emergence of Humans all came with windaz-only stuff.

So, yes, really.  :)

--
Dan