[Wolves] OSS evangelism

Mark Ellse me at chaseacademy.com
Fri Jul 23 17:20:47 BST 2004

Philip Moore wrote:

>I was very interested in the observations and feel optimistic for the long
>term prospects of Open Office but would observe (from my experience using
>both Open Office and MS Office 2000 - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher,
>Outlook, Access, Front Page) that Open Office is not yet a MS Office 2000
>replacement - for many operations Open Office has adequate applications and
>functionality within applications but in many cases it regrettably lags
>behind MS Office.  It all depends on what is demanded from the software.

I agree that OOo lags behind MSO a bit, but the differences are
generally not critical. Writer has been for us an entirely acceptable
replacement for Word - and we do have some documents with very
complicated layouts. Personally, my experience is that it is a bit more
cluncky than Word, but definitely more stable with complex layouts.

Calc is largely fine, but there are some statistical functions not yet
present in OOo Calc.

OOo Draw is a marvellous little tool. I only wish there were an
equivalent bitmap editor.

Mark