[Wolves] Episode 8 LugRadio and the elections

Tom Edwards lists at t0m.me.uk
Tue Jun 1 11:06:13 BST 2004

fizzy wrote:

> --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannonlinux.freeserve.co.uk>
>wrote:
>

>>Are you saying LugRadio is going to be a political
>>forum? If so will th BNP be
>>on? I don't subscribe to them but I do uphold the
>>"freedom of speech"
>>concept.
>>

>It's going to have an election special in relation to
>software issues, yes.  As the BNP are (thankfully) a
>minor party I see no reason to have them on, unless
>you are going to get every crazy fringe element on, I
>can just see Sparkes interviewing the natural law
>party on how yogic flying will change software patents
>:)

Ah yes, but who defines what a crazy fringe element is, and is it really
democratic to deny people coverage/access/whatever just because we are
not so keen on what they have to say? The BNP has a point of view, a
scarey one, which is widely misunderstood to be less extreme than it is,
but if they are standing in the elections why shouldn't the electorate
make an informed choice. Surely it is better to hear the view directly
(and be disgusted into voting for someone else) rather than be told that
it is wrong / right by someone else?

Tom