[Wolves] Episode 8 LugRadio and the elections

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 11:45:57 BST 2004

Tom Edwards said:

> Ah yes, but who defines what a crazy fringe element is

In this case? Me and Jono. :-)

With radio, television, magazines, or just about any other medium, someone
eventually has to make a decision. So long as there is ample opportunity
for other people to start internet radio programmes, I see no reason why
LugRadio should try to become some horribly watered down, pander to every
psycho-nutter opinion, sort of show.

> and is it really
> democratic to deny people coverage/access/whatever just because we are
> not so keen on what they have to say?

Erm, not so sure on that one but, in the case of LugRadio, I see it as
perfectly reasonable for us not to give the BNP coverage because, AFAIK,
they have nothing relevant to say.

> The BNP has a point of view, a
> scarey one, which is widely misunderstood to be less extreme than it is,
> but if they are standing in the elections why shouldn't the electorate
> make an informed choice.

Yep, of course. From what you've written, I'm pretty certain that you're
not suggesting that LugRadio is the right place to do this, but just to
clarify, I'd say that the mainstream media are perfectly capable of
enabling people to do this.

--

Matthew Revell