[Wolves] DSL/Wireless router recommendations?

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Sat Jun 12 21:44:37 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 20:11, Andy Wootton wrote:
> When I was looking at this a few months ago The Netgear
> 'silver-spaceships' seemed to be getting the best reviews as long as you
> didn't get the early firmware.
>
> Being a hi-fi seperates kind of guy I decided to buy the Netgear DG814
> DSL router only and buy a seperate wireless point later. The total cost
> would have been higher but 11g prices were falling fast at the time. It
> also gives you options about where wireless sits in relation to firewall
> and routers. I was interested in Pringle-tin metropolitan wireless
> networks at the time. I finally accepted that noone as sad as me lives
> within range.
>
> I am very happy with the Netgear kit except that I thought the units
> looked designed for stacking. In fact stacking would block the
> ventilation holes around the indented shape in the top.
>
> Don't buy 11b to save a few quid. Mixed 11b/g networks run at the speed
> of the slowest active component.
>
> Out.
> Woo

I bought one of the Netgear 834 wireless routers a few weeks back, and
it was very nice, but within a day I replaced it with a Belkin.
Why? Netgears don't (and have no models planned apparently) do port
translation, which makes running servers at home awkward - eg where your
isp blocks port 25 and you want to route say port 2525 to port 25 inside
your lan.