[Wolves] Pay-for music download sites

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 08:54:06 BST 2004

Katherine Goodwin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been reading recently about iTunes launching in this country, and
> the relaunch of napster, and now some other site offering audio
> streaming at 1p per track.
>
> I'd love to make use of this sort of thing - I think £1 is a reasonable
> fee to get just the track I want.
>
> However, they all seem to use proprietary, non-linux-friendly file
> formats.
>
> Has anyone heard of any sites that offer mp3 or other more friendly
> formats and don't require windows media player?

I doubt you'll find one using .mp3, as it would be open to abuse (i.e.
user downloads .mp3, distributes it to his mates.. service goes bankrupt
;) )

I've not looked into it, but perhaps mplayer is capable of playing some
of the drm music, as it seems capable of using some windows plugins/codecs.

David.