[Wolves] Pay-for music download sites

Katherine Goodwin kat at codepoets.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 09:04:03 BST 2004

<snip>
> > Has anyone heard of any sites that offer mp3 or other more friendly
> > formats and don't require windows media player?
> >

> I doubt you'll find one using .mp3, as it would be open to abuse (i.e.
> user downloads .mp3, distributes it to his mates.. service goes bankrupt
> ;) )
>
> I've not looked into it, but perhaps mplayer is capable of playing some
> of the drm music, as it seems capable of using some windows plugins/codecs.

Disclaimer: I considered taking this discussion off-list, but it might
be useful/interesting to other people so I'll continue it here...

As far as I could see, these things needed plugins on top of media
player and/or software to download from the service.
see:
http://www.sonicselector.com/
http://musicnow.fullaudio.com/
among others.