[Wolves] Pay-for music download sites

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 13:21:06 BST 2004

On Tuesday 15 Jun 2004 12:30, Barbie wrote:

> I helped to design the software that designed a System X telephone
> exchange. BT, along with many others, were only consumers. They might badge
> it afterwards though.

Ah so its your fault LOL ;-)

> > With regards installing new equipment most exchanges have it
> > apart from places like Little Dorking or Upper Wurzel ....
>
> This is probably more to do with the signal routers, that for remote places
> need an extra boost along the way. I used to remember all the acronyms,
> LLEs RCUs etc, but most have long since drifted from memory.

Your probably right! Don't you love those code words sme var blah blah blah!

> The other day I was talking to one of the guys I used to work with, who
> still works for Marconi. He was telling me about the optical fibre work
> they are currently doing. The power of broadband down a single strand of
> light, with several hundred comms all at once, each just on a difference
> colour frequency. It's groovy stuff.

WOW Marconi! are they still going? seriously, they're a great company along
with Digital (destroyed by Compaq)

> The thing that I find remarkable about BT is how slow they are to
> understand the features provided to them. I took them over 10 years to
> offer the 1471 and call back feature to subscribers, even though that was
> part of the test service of the System X Exchange from the beginning.

Hmm I don't think they are slow its just typical UK ethos don't spend on new
kit unless you really, really, gun to the head, knee across the throat, crow
bar on the purse, have to.

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain
he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"