[Wolves] Wooo hooooooo - 2 gig mailbox baby !!!!

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Mon Jun 21 03:18:20 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 00:09, Adam Sweet wrote:
> I would expect Aq to wade
> in here with something along the lines of Mozilla
> being "A load of bloated eye candy bollocks", but if I
> recall correctly he and Jono used to argue about this
> a long time ago with Aq's view strongly being that
> Moailla was the way ahead. Forgive me if his opinion
> has now changed.

He's not wrong. Mozilla isn't eye candy bollocks, it's just bloated and
pointless bollocks. To summarise slightly for those who don't quite get
why there are so many Mozillas, the Mozilla browser is the latest
version of Netscape, which was made open-source in 1997. Mozilla, as a
product, contains a large variety of things: the browser itself, the
composer (a WYSIWYG HTML editor), and lots of other things. A few years
ago, it became clear that inside the huge Mozilla behemoth, which had
superb HTML rendering but poor usability, confusing menus, and too many
bolt-ons, there was a small, clean, and excellent web browser struggling
to get out. Some guys put together the Phoenix web browser, which was a
light web browser, still using Mozilla to actually render the web pages,
but with simplified menus, a view toward much greater usability, and
most of its "extra" functionality hived out to "extensions" which you
could choose to install or not (as opposed to all that functionality
being included in the browser regardless of whether you wanted it).
Phoenix went through a few name changes, from Phoenix to Firebird to
Mozilla Firebird to Mozilla Firefox, where it should now stay. It has
the advantages of the main Mozilla browser in terms of rendering, but
it's smaller, quicker to start, more usable, and less bloated. It will
also *become* the Mozilla browser in the near-ish future, and the
all-in-one Mozilla suite will be abandoned. I would recommend moving to
it if you're currently using Mozilla itself.

Aq.