[Wolves] Digital Radio

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at bcs.org.uk
Mon Jun 21 23:55:37 BST 2004

Helen Randle wrote:

>I'm looking to get a PCI card to receive Digital Radio. Has anyone got any
>experience of running one under Linux?
>
>I'm after recommendations so that I know it will work! All the ones I've
>looked at seem to come with bundles of software for Windows, which I'd prefer
>not to bother with. But there are some just cards, which presumably I'd need
>Linux drivers and software for.
>
>Helen

Helen,

Have you considered buying an analogue TV card and an external Freeview
box? The radio channels you want to listen to would determine if that
was a sensible solution but it is probably cheaper and you get digital
TV and perhaps video recording thrown in.

I listen to BBC stations through a discontinued Pace ITV Digital box
that can get Freeview. It has stereo out to my hi-fi amp so I only need
TV to change to channels that aren't pre-programmed on the remote. Brand
new boxes are less than I paid but you do need decent TV reception.

Woo