[Wolves] Gentoo

C J Coleman ug97cjc at cs.bham.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 15:15:16 BST 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:08:52PM +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> fizzy said:
> > Anyone used/use it? Opinions? Been playing around with
> > it for a couple of weeks, it's the best distro I've
> > ever used.
>
> I keep thinking that it might be cool, but then I see things like how when
> you upgrade X you have to leave your machine alone for two days while it
> compiles it, and I decide that binary-based distributions are the way
> forward. :-)

I currently use Gentoo.  The compile times are not as significant as
people say, though they can sometimes be annoying.  Most things you will
not have to recompile very often provided you do not go for the unstable
side of things.  The USE flags and portage in general is a very nice
system, and the community at their forums is really helpful.  Gentoo has
been the best experience I have had with any distribution.

As an idea of compile times, I have an Athlon T-Bird 900MHz - and I can
easily compile GCC, GlibC and X within a morning.  The only real long
compile I do is Mozilla Firefox, but there is a binary version of this
in portage (the other big one off the top of my head is OOo, but again
this has a binary version).  Also, remember this is Linux, the operating
system can actually cope with you doing other things while the compile
runs ^_^.

--
C J Coleman <ug97cjc at cs dot bham dot ac dot uk>  GPG Key ID: A0F63EF1
GPG Key Fingerprint = ED46 AE41 133E B234 3E0B  DD16 3F5B BBA3 A0F6 3EF1