[Wolves] Gentoo

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Tue Jun 22 16:13:38 BST 2004

The artist formally known as C J Coleman was heard to say...
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:08:52PM +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:
>> fizzy said:
>> > Anyone used/use it? Opinions? Been playing around with
>> > it for a couple of weeks, it's the best distro I've
>> > ever used.
>>
>> I keep thinking that it might be cool, but then I see things like how
>> when
>> you upgrade X you have to leave your machine alone for two days while it
>> compiles it, and I decide that binary-based distributions are the way
>> forward. :-)
>

> I currently use Gentoo.  The compile times are not as significant as
> people say, though they can sometimes be annoying.

With debian when you do a dist-upgrade and go for a pint you come back and
it works.  I can see attempting to do the same thing in gentoo is like the
bsd makeworld thing.  Called make world not because it rebuilds everything
but because it starts of black and 7 days later you have a usable system
but can't remember why you wanted it and take the day off.

sparkes