[Wolves] Gentoo

fizzy fizzyorguk at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 16:22:30 BST 2004

--- Chris Procter <Chris at foxonline.co.uk> wrote: > >
Been playing around with
> > it for a couple of weeks, it's the best distro
> I've
> > ever used.
> >
> > fizz
>
> Why? people rave abut gentoo but what is it that
> makes it so cool?

For me?

1) Configurability.  It only installs a minimum of
things initally, I like this.  Anything I need I will
choose to install.

2) Choice of source.  If I want a binary of something
sometimes it's nice to have that, I like building
everything from source, it makes me feel cool ( ;) ),
but I don't like having no package management (linux
from scratch/slackware). This is ideal

3) Speed.  Boots faster than any distro I've tried.

4) Does things the proper way.  You compile the kernel
from source first time.  I like that, I don't want to
re-learn how to compile a kernel.

5) Beauty.  It does fancy frame buffer support for the
console by default and looks REALLY nice!

So yeah, that's why I like it.  It's not going to be
for everyone (I wouldn't put a new linux user within a
mile of the thing) but for those who want complete
control (me) this is the distro for you.  It is also
pretty hard work, and pretty bleeding edge (broken)
but I think the effort is rewarding. It's restored my
faith in linux really.

> chris
fizz

=====