[Wolves] E-mail

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 17:28:14 BST 2004

On Wednesday 23 Jun 2004 16:28, sparkes wrote:

> >> Is beauty and usability mutually exclusive? If so, I gonna give in right
> >> now.

Not yet things are just warming up!

> > I knew someone was going to pick me up on that.
>
> well it was obvious ;-)

:-) Theres this old crooner song playing in my head "It had to be you doo be
do doo it had to be you!"

> Some things that are very usable are also very beautifull, examples are
> all around us.  Shoes are normally very usable and very beautiful ;-)  The
> human form does exactly what it needs to and in some cases is very, very
> attractive while doing it.

Is this some sort of shoe fettish?

> OK, they are very odd examples the shoe has had thousands of years of
> development to get it usable and looking good at the same time and
> evolution of the human form occured paralell to our development of what is
> actractive so can't be used as an example really.

It is a shoe fettish!!

> A better example would be the mouse.  There are some pretty horrific
> examples of mouse design from both asthetic and usable points of view but
> sometimes they are brilliant from both points of view.  the apple
> professional mouse is an example (yeah, 1 button I know but the interface
> it was designed for only needs one button), dam sexy and when your
> interface only needs one mouse button very comfortable as well.

What a load of cobblers!!! I dont know the product or package your on about
(I'll look it up) what use is a one button mouse? it may be OK for some
pathetic bespoke app but what about other stuff?

> > Moreover, what I said above was pretty much true; I'm a lot more
> > interested in usability than beauty. Of course, this most certainly does
> > not preclude me from liking an interface which is both usable *and*
> > beautiful, but usable alone will do, whereas beauty alone will not.

In that case Linux is not for you! it strikes me no matter what flavour you
use be Debian, Gentoo, Slackware there will be problems it dont like this
sound card, this network dont work, you need to recompile blah blah blah.

If I want to run a plane boring text terminal I'll write on some paper at
least I can use a gel pen.

There! you made me break my silence so I've got the hump now. I was being all
clever clever and staying quiet but I'm going home now!

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"