[Wolves] Digital Radio (OFFTOPIC TV detectors)

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 11:40:12 BST 2004

> I think there's a difference between an OFF set and one on STANDBY
> (which most people now think is the same as off).
>
> Anyone with old relatives will have experienced their paranoia with
> turning everything off before going to bed etc...
> where as now no one
> bothers and leaves it on standby. Kat moans at me for turning the
> printer off when it's not being used (99.9999% of the time)

I do that, its not paranoia, its reducing your electricity bill and saving
the planet in one easy flick of a switch. If everyone turned off their
TV/monitor/whatever boxes rather then leaving them on standby think how much
electricity (and therefore gas coal oil etc) we could save.

We'd only need a new power station for settop boxes if people are too lazy
to flick a switch. TURN THEM OFF THEY DONT NEED TO BE ON SO WHY ARE YOU
BURNING THE ELECTRICITY????????????!

<deepbreath count="1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10"/>

Sorry this is a pet rant of mine, I had a go at our new CEO on his first day
about turning his monitor off when he went home, he hasn't done it since.
I wonder why I dont get promoted!

> While on standby, the unit obviously still gobbbles up some power....
> perhaps they can somehow detect this?

Does standby keep the crt warm and would that emit rf radiation that could
be detected? Or does it still decode the signal just keeping the tube dark
which might be detectable.

If you wanted to detect completly off sets you could use some sort of rfid
device that uses the power of the received signal to broadcast a reply, but
then if you knew what you were doing it might be possible to disable it and
its pretty new tech so it wouldn't work on older tvs

I remember hearing that they could actually detect what channel you were
watching so I suspect some sort of van Eck phreaking
(http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci550525,00.html) is
used but that should only get TVs that are on.

chris

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.