[Wolves] E-mail

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 19:15:15 BST 2004

On Thursday 24 Jun 2004 13:03, sparkes wrote:
> The artist formally known as Peter Cannon was heard to say...
>
> > On Thursday 24 Jun 2004 10:41, sparkes wrote:

> > Give me one good reason why an application cannot have some nice eye
> > candy?
> > will it detract from the functionality? I don't think so, in fact I would
> > have thought it would make you use it more because it looks good or is
> > fun to
> > watch.

Sometimes it can, for example in Microsoft Office - "Don't bother fixing the
bugs that make it crash and lose people's work. Use the time saved to
implement animated 'Office Assistant' cartoon characters." Though their
overall merits are somewhat dubious, I'll admit that for what it's worth some
of the characters do have some eye-candy value (such as the "Mad Professor"
one).

> example: A project I did some years ago for a large factory installation
> had some eyecandy I thought would improve the interface when we where
> asked to add it by a suit.... (snipped)

Reminds me of a certain incident where the managing director of a certain
company I worked for asked one of my colleagues to drill holes in their new
RAID array in order to install additional flashing LEDs.

James

--
"Funny how the slightest thing amuses him"
          - James Bond (in "Live and Let Die")