[Wolves] Booting to command line in Fedora

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 13:08:40 BST 2004

On Tuesday 29 Jun 2004 12:39, Wayne Morris wrote:

> I'm running FC1, is it worth upgrading to FC2?

Yeeess???? (Thats a drawn out, not sure, yes)
I dithered for weeks before taking the plunge there are some issues and some
little niggles but I'm happy that I did.

Like you I had a GUI error when I had RH9 installed on my laptop I didn't know
how to fix it so upgraded to FC1 it worked a treat.

I have also deleted my Kernel while doing some maintenance when I went to boot
next time Oops! Grub cant find  the Kernel thank god I always leave at least
two prior kernels installed googled on the web found some instructions on how
to CD to a location (still not found the info) make a boot disk and hey
presto the thing booted quick up2date and all was well.

> Managed to get to the prompt by using the Interactive start, and then not
> starting XFS which brought about some 'do you want to diagnose
> why your Xserver isn't working, saying no got me to the prompt.
>
> Now trying to fix the original problem was that a Redhat Update of some
> stuff died halfway thru and then when X was starting I'd just get a box
> saying 'fedora unable to load image-loading module libpng for bluecurve'
> and no way of getting passed it.
>
> So just done a 'yum upgrade libpng' and its downloading loads of stuff,
> don't know whether it will work.

Now theres the thing I use apt-get with synaptic GUI front end when I upgraded
to FC2 synaptic would not start kept bombing out now I know you shouldn't run
different updating programs together but I ran yum update and it upgraded
synaptic and it works lovely now.

I love software "how does it work mister?" "Its bleeding witchcraft mate"

> Typically I can't find my FC1 disc 1, (although I have it on a server
> elsewhere if I need to reburn it) and the laptop doesnt have a floppy
> drive.

I bet your a clever clog's and can do network installs? Wish I could!

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"